Thread: [@DEV] Forging A Hero: Character Critiques

Bronze Member Contributor Level 4

[@DEV] Forging A Hero: Character Critiques

I'm picking up from a previous post I made about Fiorina, Nature's Queen): Original Here

Character Critique:

Her character design is good, with a good thematic, however the thematic doesn't fit the visuals & vice versa. Her voicelines are of an angry queen but she looks like a fairy that'll run off when you sneeze near her. I think that is something that Ucool should work on, while creating a hero. To make sure their lore/thematic/visuals/voicelines all line up and not make up the lore and the character separate and then somehow put it together. It feels like they went in different directions concerning her vengence aspect and her nature fairy visuals.

I believe that the studio should take a whole new approach when designing characters to make players more compelled and stay interested in the game. I do not know how it's done right now at Ucool but the system that Riot Games has for League Of Legends works really well: When they design a champion, they get a team together to do it; the writers(responsible for the lore & voicelines), the visual artists(the VFX, particles, splasharts and all that) and DEVs(who obviously gives an idea of what is possible and what isn't to put in the game) all work together and are on the same page under the guidance of someone who is in charge- The Champion Designer: who has to approve everything and make sure that "This" makes sense for "This" character. The result is that the character is coherent. Take a look at a character that is of the same archtype of Fiorina in LoL, "Zyra, Rise Of The Thons" (Plant/Nature mage).

Zyra's in game model/voicelines/skins: Click here! (video)

As you can see from the above, the character is coherent and thus resonates with players on more than just something visual. The character is alive. You can just look at Zyra and see that she is a pretty flower but she has thorns and she IS going to use them. Her voicelines fits well with her lore and her character traits: evil, sadistic and powerful. The lines intriguing yet makes sense once you understand the character. That is why it is important for a studio making a moba to have writers and character designers. If you give it all to just 3 people to do, with no concrete talent or expertise for story-telling and character creation, you'll turn up with a hero like Fiorina: Incoherent, confusing and weak on aspects such as voicelines/visuals while still having a good gameplay and kit. It is sad that these traits clashes, since ti somewhat takes away from the character: IMO at least.

This is great material on how they create their champions, I urge the developers, big boss or whoever is in charge at Ucool/Heroes Arena to check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-k3TbFwMgI Their system is called DNA(Designer, Narrator & Artist).

Also, I'd be glad to offer help as champion designer/writer/or just helping and advising the team on chracters they're working as well as skins. You may contact in PM on the forum and I'll give you my email or skypename

Fairwell, looking forward to many great heroes and great improvement to the game.

Fellow player and enthusiast,
    Nerøn

Administrator Contributor Level 12 Betty's Avatar
    Dear Player
    Thank you for your suggestions and feedback. We will forward them to our developers. Thank you.

Best Regards
    Betty

Iron Member Contributor Level 2
    betty i can't purchase hero skin why ?
    show me massage lease purchase the previous deal hero chest first !!! please i need information

Quote Originally Posted by weezynuke View Post
    betty i can't purchase hero skin why ?
    show me massage lease purchase the previous deal hero chest first !!! please i need information
    Dear Player
    Which hero skin do you was trying to buy please?

Best Regards
    Betty

Quote Originally Posted by Badwolfneron View Post
    I'm picking up from a previous post I made about Fiorina, Nature's Queen): Original Here

Character Critique:

Her character design is good, with a good thematic, however the thematic doesn't fit the visuals & vice versa. Her voicelines are of an angry queen but she looks like a fairy that'll run off when you sneeze near her. I think that is something that Ucool should work on, while creating a hero. To make sure their lore/thematic/visuals/voicelines all line up and not make up the lore and the character separate and then somehow put it together. It feels like they went in different directions concerning her vengence aspect and her nature fairy visuals.

I believe that the studio should take a whole new approach when designing characters to make players more compelled and stay interested in the game. I do not know how it's done right now at Ucool but the system that Riot Games has for League Of Legends works really well: When they design a champion, they get a team together to do it; the writers(responsible for the lore & voicelines), the visual artists(the VFX, particles, splasharts and all that) and DEVs(who obviously gives an idea of what is possible and what isn't to put in the game) all work together and are on the same page under the guidance of someone who is in charge- The Champion Designer: who has to approve everything and make sure that "This" makes sense for "This" character. The result is that the character is coherent. Take a look at a character that is of the same archtype of Fiorina in LoL, "Zyra, Rise Of The Thons" (Plant/Nature mage).

Zyra's in game model/voicelines/skins: Click here! (video)

As you can see from the above, the character is coherent and thus resonates with players on more than just something visual. The character is alive. You can just look at Zyra and see that she is a pretty flower but she has thorns and she IS going to use them. Her voicelines fits well with her lore and her character traits: evil, sadistic and powerful. The lines intriguing yet makes sense once you understand the character. That is why it is important for a studio making a moba to have writers and character designers. If you give it all to just 3 people to do, with no concrete talent or expertise for story-telling and character creation, you'll turn up with a hero like Fiorina: Incoherent, confusing and weak on aspects such as voicelines/visuals while still having a good gameplay and kit. It is sad that these traits clashes, since ti somewhat takes away from the character: IMO at least.

This is great material on how they create their champions, I urge the developers, big boss or whoever is in charge at Ucool/Heroes Arena to check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-k3TbFwMgI Their system is called DNA(Designer, Narrator & Artist).

Also, I'd be glad to offer help as champion designer/writer/or just helping and advising the team on chracters they're working as well as skins. You may contact in PM on the forum and I'll give you my email or skypename

Fairwell, looking forward to many great heroes and great improvement to the game.

Fellow player and enthusiast,
    Nerøn
    Dear Player
    Our producer confirms that we will re-make the Voice Over for Nature's Queen. Thank you.

Best Regards
    Betty

Bronze Member Contributor Level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Dear Player
    Our producer confirms that we will re-make the Voice Over for Nature's Queen. Thank you.

Best Regards
    Betty
    That is great news! I am happy I could help. Looking forward to it.

Platinum Member Contributor Level 8
    can this come back up? :P