Thread: Started yesterday. Made it to Diamond in 40 games. My thoughts.

Bronze Member Contributor Level 3

Started yesterday. Made it to Diamond in 40 games. My thoughts.

This game has a lot going for it, but it certainly isn't without its issues (It's to be expected seeing as how it is in beta atm).

My initial thoughts.

Marksmen are entirely too strong in general. I played a few different ones but mainly Wild Card and they're far too easily to abuse in game. Towers die so fast and any decent AA character, specifically range can just run through all 3 towers in lane in 45 seconds once mid game hits. I find melees in general very underwhelming because they typically have to eat so much damage to even reach the carry they're already at 50% hp (Having Cleanse and a free polymorph in frog helps out in that regard) Even someone as CC heavy as Titan Warlord or someone with an engage like Abaddon can just be kited out with one of those spells and it's easy pickings.

Jungling is entirely too strong. This is currently a huge issue with LoL as well although less so after the past 2 patches. Jungling allows you to nearly double up on your enemies levels and just run into a lane to nearly guarantee a free kill assuming you don't misplay. It's insanely snowbally and I've just been fortunate enough to not really have anyone else dedicate to jungling but rather just take a camp before getting into lane.

Healing in this game is a complete joke. Heals are so wildly underwhelming in this game I see no reason to even take a healer in a team comp or as a summoner spell. There is too much damage and CC being output by nearly every champ that healing from the spell or Angelyne can't efficiently keep up with poke. It is exclusively better to take damage over healing which renders Angelyne useless in this game and I would venture so say I've seen every single Angelyne be nothing but a liability to their team post early game.

Assassins are far too "feast or famine". I understand that is the nature of an assassin is to snowball and murder everyone, but if you don't get anything going early you are literally doomed into obscurity and free gold for the enemy team the entire game. There is virtually no way to come back from a horrendous early game. Shadowstrike for example seems kit wise in the right hands they'd be terrifying, but All too often I've seen a poor kill attempt result in them dying, falling a little behind on exp and be sent to irrelevancy constantly trying to make it up with more mediocre gank attempts which only result in getting further behind. I actually have not seen a single Grim Fate in game yet, but quite a few Shadowstrikes once I made it to plat and now diamond.

Dragon and Warlord need to be more difficult to take. No one should be able to solo Warlord with just 2 items. It's not much of a strong objective if one person can sneak it right as mid game starts up. Dragon also feels very underwhelming in the same regard. I feel the rewards for each are perfectly fine. They just need to be more difficult to take.

Summoner spells make no sense. Due to the nature of spells and how they're acquired I've seen people level 12 and higher with heal and smite still because they don't have the spells they want/need. I ended up buying boxes to make sure I had a fair amount of options but someone twice my level shouldn't have less than me variety wise. The game feels very p2w in that regard.

Runes are full of noob traps. You see runes with 1, 2 or 3 different stats and your average people would think "Oh wow, I am absolutely going to take the 3 stat one". Err. Wrong answer. Runes are all about early game advantages and the best early game runes are the single stat ones mathematically. Why would I take 4 damage, 2% life steal and 1.5% crit when I could have 120 hp and 7 attack?

Now onto actual player base issues....

I have been absolutely baffled by nearly every teams lack of map awareness. My 2nd to last game in plat 1 was me backing from botlane only once because I killed a Quake in the jungle and had no mana for wave clear. I was allowed to just push down everything bot while they and my team traded kills for the better part of the game top lane. I understand this is a mobile game and the general player base probably doesn't have much of a moba background to begin with but man.. The mini map is right on your screen. How would you not see someone pushing that far up and just go defend it? What would possibly be more important than saving your base? The single win condition you have is to not lose your base.

I also feel like half the people don't even know what to do with the champs they pick. I can't tell if people are just choosing random things to try out in games or they just pick what they think looks "cool". but I've seen an abundance of adcs running in melee range face tanking people (still manage to get out a live most of the time mind you because of how strong marksman are). Now part of this may just be an inability to control the character because lolphone controls, but it seems to be a real problem even in higher elo games. I don't even trust my teammates tbh.

So, in closing. This game has a lot going for it. It has some severe balance issues but what moba doesn't? It is still missing some key features such as being able to party up in ranked, ai games for practice and 5v5 ranked teams I think most would expect from a moba, I'm sure all of those are probably to follow sooner or later given the infantile state of the game right now. I strongly feel summoner spell aquisition needs to be looked at to make it and runes less catering to those who would spend a lot of money. All in all I'm looking forward to this future and hope to god this gets a massive boost in playerbase because waiting 20-30 minutes for a game is absurd. I can log into LoL and get something in half the time.

Gold Member Contributor Level 6
    I agree that jungling is the most glaring imbalance in the game. The camps does no punishing damage, their hp are too low and the lighting lord is a joke. Being able to solo dragon with just a bloody mary, being able to solo lightning lord by adding a red moon to that is too abusable.

Marksman are at op at pushing towers early yes (especially level 1 wild card pulling red card on passive), but thats only vs mediocre players
    My main issue with them is how clunky the auto attacking for melee heros and mage heros compared to marksman. Mage and melee heros auto attacking animations are too damn long! It is impossible to chase marksman because melee will stand still for that 0.5 second long, which give marksman enough time to just run. If they use shift, forget about catching them. Using a mage, you might as well not auto attack because you are stunning yourself to do 100 damage.

Dispite this, marksman can struggle vs heros like quake, lil'witch, shadowstrike and abbadon (if played correctly). Though these are all god tier heros in my opinion.
    Masters 1, 81% ranked win rate player.

TLDR: Jungle camps weak, early push too strong and auto attack animation for melee and mage too long.

Silver Member Contributor Level 4 SolidtaryX's Avatar
    I second this guy
    IGN:☆Royal☆Nico♫
    Current Rank:Master ☆ x320
    Server:Asia Server(PH)
    Best Hero: (Wild Card)

I actually just ran into you 2 games in a row alolanduck. You're a pretty decent Shadowstrike. I ended up winning both but they were really tough games.

http://m.imgur.com/a/Uj1Cm
    Last edited by TheNerd; 01-18-2017 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Typos

Gold Member Contributor Level 6
    Yea end my 26 game streak :/ then second game quake don't know what hes doing. Good games though.

Iron Member Contributor Level 2
    You touched on a good point nerd, I don't agree with you towers die fast but nexus

The Nexus just has an abundance of HP. It still can be shredded in seconds.
    IGN-TheNerd
    Rank-Masters 1
    92% winrate
    Start Date- 1/17/2016
    Top Chars- Wild Card/Dimension Devil/Quake

Silver Member Contributor Level 4 SolidtaryX's Avatar
    this is fast pace moba.better ask them put some damage reduce to tower
    IGN:☆Royal☆Nico♫
    Current Rank:Master ☆ x320
    Server:Asia Server(PH)
    Best Hero: (Wild Card)

Iron Member Contributor Level 1
    Diamond 1 here and I've noticed the same things during my climb, especially poor map awareness. Why push bot when literally 4/5 opponents are storming down midlane to an open Nexus? I played Mobile Legends in it's earlier stages so can say with some confidence that eventually the playerbase will collectively get smarter.

I guess I've just been lucky with Summoner spells, since I've got all the ones I want. That said, they should just unlock with level gain imo - then maybe they could have a neutral upgrade currency, so you can level the spells you want to. Still gives incentive to buy chests but allows more spell choice freedom.
    Last edited by Eureka; 01-20-2017 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Graemmur