Thread: Deceptive Advertising on Christmas Events

Gold Member Contributor Level 6

Deceptive Advertising on Christmas Events

The Christmas Event is currently running two parallel gem-related events.

------

EVENT #1
    Purchase Event
    Event Time:
    GMT: 2016/12/20 00:00-2017/1/03 23:59
    Event Content: Players will receive corresponding rewards when they purchase a certain amount of Gems every day.

The event includes a field called "Today has accumulated" to indicate how much you've spent today towards the event.

------

EVENT #2
    Double Basic Gems Event
    Time of the activity
    During the event time, the first purchase everyday will reward you another amount of purchased basic gems via in game mailbox.

-----

The first thing you'll notice about both events: Neither one indicates when the event "day" resets. From reading the description, the customer is not able to tell when one day ends and the next begins, thus resetting the event. The customer is left to guess. However, EVENT #1 does include a field showing the customer how much they've spent that day. When this field resets to $0, then it's naturally safe to assume the day has reset. EVENT #2 has no such indicator - there is literally no way to tell when EVENT #2 has reset.

Because these events run concurrently, the customer is naturally led to believe that they reset at the same time. Thus, if EVENT #1 is showing that it has reset to $0, then the customer is led to believe that EVENT #2 has also reset. However, this is not the case. EVENT #1 and EVENT #2 have different reset times -- even though neither one indicates when that time is. One might reason "Well EVENT #2 started at 00:00 GMT on 12/20, so it probably resets at 00:00 GMT. That's reasonable - except EVENT #1 has the exact same description and it does NOT reset at 00:00 GMT.

Whether intentionally or not, this is clearly false and deceptive advertising. The customer is being induced into making purchases that they think will apply to both events, but actually may only apply to one. I made a number of purchases the evening of 12/19 (EST). When I woke up on 12/20, I saw that EVENT #1 had reset (it showed I had spent $0). Naturally, I assumed EVENT #2 had likewise reset - so I made a $49.99 purchase. I did not receive my bonus gems. It turns out, even though EVENT #1 had reset, EVENT #2 has a different reset time and had not yet reset - BUT THIS IS NOT INDICATED OR EXPLAINED ANYWHERE. THE RESET TIME IS NOT INDICATED. Absent that, it's reasonable and expected for the customer to assume they reset at the same time.

Again, this is false and deceptive advertising. Ucool needs to clearly indicate the exact time these events reset. Ideally, such clearly related events should be resetting at the same time. Finally, Ucool needs to make this right for any customers that were deceptively cheated out of receiving their bonus gems.

I tried to appeal this issue through Customer Support, but got stonewalled. So now I'm posting it here. Next stop is an Apple appeal for a refund if Ucool doesn't make it right.

Administrator Contributor Level 12 Betty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavajo View Post
    The Christmas Event is currently running two parallel gem-related events.

------

EVENT #1
    Purchase Event
    Event Time:
    Event Content: Players will receive corresponding rewards when they purchase a certain amount of Gems every day.

The event includes a field called "Today has accumulated" to indicate how much you've spent today towards the event.

------

EVENT #2
    Double Basic Gems Event
    Time of the activity
    During the event time, the first purchase everyday will reward you another amount of purchased basic gems via in game mailbox.

-----

The first thing you'll notice about both events: Neither one indicates when the event "day" resets. From reading the description, the customer is not able to tell when one day ends and the next begins, thus resetting the event. The customer is left to guess. However, EVENT #1 does include a field showing the customer how much they've spent that day. When this field resets to $0, then it's naturally safe to assume the day has reset. EVENT #2 has no such indicator - there is literally no way to tell when EVENT #2 has reset.

Because these events run concurrently, the customer is naturally led to believe that they reset at the same time. Thus, if EVENT #1 is showing that it has reset to $0, then the customer is led to believe that EVENT #2 has also reset. However, this is not the case. EVENT #1 and EVENT #2 have different reset times -- even though neither one indicates when that time is. One might reason "Well EVENT #2 started at 00:00 GMT on 12/20, so it probably resets at 00:00 GMT. That's reasonable - except EVENT #1 has the exact same description and it does NOT reset at 00:00 GMT.

Whether intentionally or not, this is clearly false and deceptive advertising. The customer is being induced into making purchases that they think will apply to both events, but actually may only apply to one. I made a number of purchases the evening of 12/19 (EST). When I woke up on 12/20, I saw that EVENT #1 had reset (it showed I had spent $0). Naturally, I assumed EVENT #2 had likewise reset - so I made a $49.99 purchase. I did not receive my bonus gems. It turns out, even though EVENT #1 had reset, EVENT #2 has a different reset time and had not yet reset - BUT THIS IS NOT INDICATED OR EXPLAINED ANYWHERE. THE RESET TIME IS NOT INDICATED. Absent that, it's reasonable and expected for the customer to assume they reset at the same time.

Again, this is false and deceptive advertising. Ucool needs to clearly indicate the exact time these events reset. Ideally, such clearly related events should be resetting at the same time. Finally, Ucool needs to make this right for any customers that were deceptively cheated out of receiving their bonus gems.

I tried to appeal this issue through Customer Support, but got stonewalled. So now I'm posting it here. Next stop is an Apple appeal for a refund if Ucool doesn't make it right.
    Dear Leader
    Thank you for your feedback. And the event menu also shows the current GMT time, and it resets at GMT 0:00. Thanks.

Best Regards
    Betty

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Dear Leader
    Thank you for your feedback. And the event menu also shows the current GMT time, and it resets at GMT 0:00. Thanks.

Best Regards
    Betty
    Yes, that's the problem - both events show the GMT time and both events started at the same time. But they have different resets, and neither one indicates when they reset. This is why it's so deceptive.

Bronze Member Contributor Level 4
    Same thing just happened to me, I guess i'm lucky I only purchase 5 usd, why would they made the reset in different time is really beyond me, might as well messed up the game and make reset for buying stamina different with doing crusade, also different with arena, and arena have different time with GA, and so on just to confuse people like they keep doing now.

Betty, because Ucool refused to correct this situation, I appealed it to Apple. They refunded my purchase and encouraged me not to make any more purchases from Ucool.

Is this how you guys want to do business? I know game developers tend to hand-wave away customer complaints as sour grapes or entitlement. But you guys genuinely screwed this one up. The events do not explain when they reset, and events that started at the same time and run for the same duration have different resets. This is a major error on your part. Customers are spending money based on your advertisements, and then not receiving the promised products because of hidden timers.

I didn't want to have to appeal for a refund. I've been making in-app purchases through Apple for years and never once made an appeal. But this is egregious. It's misleading, deceptive and unfair. You're cheating customers out of money. All I asked your customer support team to do was to award the bonus gems as you had advertised. They wouldn't do it and just stopped responding to my messages. So now I had to file an appeal and receive a full refund.

You guys need to correct this ASAP. You need to give all bonuses/rewards to any customers that filed a complaint with you guys about this issue, and you need to immediately update all of the event descriptions to clearly indicate when each event resets. Anything less than this is bad faith and bad business.

Administrator Contributor Level 12 Betty's Avatar
    Dear Leader
    We are sorry that it cannot be changed even if we would like and had fixed it yesterday. Because it may take up to a week before Apple approves the update. And App Store staff are off work for holiday during Christmas. So it's impossible to make any changes for the event. Our producer said that we will make the texts more explicit in the next big event. Thanks.

Best Regards
    Betty