Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide to Soul Hunter - The sustain creator

Platinum Member Contributor Level 7 Marcos_M's Avatar

Guide to Soul Hunter - The sustain creator

Hello and welcome to a new hero guide.
    This guide is unfinished and need some polish

If you don't like to read just look the short review and the arena advices

Short Review:
    Soul Hunter(SH) is a frontline support offtank hero with a great heal for your mid and frontline and a good finishing ult (with a horrible love for clones). He is useful for GA(situational for arena), Outland portal(lord of the caves and berserker) and some usefulness in campaign and trial

Abilities:
    Psychopompus(US): Nukes the enemy with lower health stunning and knockbacking him a bit, the damage at 90 is not that great(around 16000 to the tank at the moment he charges the ult) and he has low magic crit so don't expect more than that, if he doesn't take the kill is not important as he stuns and leave the enemy low for your dps to finish the job and that 300 energy is better on someone else. TARGETS CLONES A LOT

Summon manes(GS): His supportive skill, use it every two or three attacks. Heals 5k of life at O, 6k of life at O+1, 7k at O+2, deals minimun damage but we don't use SH for his damage. Affects all your front and middle line, heals your AS in front of enemy midline.

Gift of Life(BS): Health points. He gains health with level, so his low(for a frontline) str is compensed

Gift of Death(PS): Magic resistance per level. This skill with his int makes him the best for tanking magic damage

Gear analysis:
    At Purple he gets mage gear, making him a bad offtank

At P+1 he gets good tank items(moonglow and bag of holding), but you will be lacking of these, so is better to don't gear him up 'til later levels

At P+2 he gets cheap gear but overall mage gear, making him not worthy

At P+3 he gets an armour penetration and attack damage(that is also expensive) along with some cheap gear and mage gear... not good

At P+4 he gets more mage gear but he gets life, str, more healing and Silence resist, putting him back into the "Useful heroes" pool, however is only useful against magic teams

Arena advices:
    -He prefers to support high resistances(including life) teams so his healings changes the tides of the battle
    -Even at O, he will be interrupted by almost any physical attack(VS arrows, by example)
    -Highest magic resistance hero
    -Good hp pool for int hero
    -OFFTANK. This means, you should never put him in front of your team. NEVER
    -He has 5 of dodge LoL

Value at different stages of the game:
    Early game(1 to 40): He is a strong tank during this time with his heal that deals good damage in this stage and his ult is a real death sentence. You can only get him by gold chest at this stage and the 3 stars are his real strength

Early-mid game(41 to 70): His stars are no longer game-changing since there are a lot of heroes with easier ways to farm. His mage gear makes him useless from level 53

Mid game(72 to 80): Totally useless, no good gear

Mid-late game(80 to 90): At P+4 he is situational, but he will only be great against magic teams, making your tank live longer, and tanking a lot of damage when your first guy is down. At orange he is better dealing with physical damage, so you can use him against some mixed teams

Late game(90 and more): His O+1 gear is great as it gives him survivability and CC-reduction, less time stunned, more time giving heals

PvE value

Magic OP
    Stage 1-2-3: Him in front with other mages and maybe chaplain
    Stage 4: FM-dps1-dps2-DM-SH
    dps heroes can be EmberS,IE,Phoenix,MM,Necro, Mystic, any hero with a good magic damage ult
    Use the black screen trick starting with DM and finishing with SH

Stage 5: FM-IE-Mach-DM-SH
    IE and FM are squishy for the boss ult, SH gives them the heal needed(may need ocasional reset).
    Use the black screen trick starting with DM and finishing with SH

Stage 6: haven't found a working team myself with SH, Psycho O is much better for the job

Tanking OP

Stage 1-2-3: A lot of tanks and him healing them, like if it where cleric
    Stage 4: Big tank-big tank-SH-Chap-CW
    LE can be in place of another tank to take away boss damage
    Stage 5: Big tank- SH-Chap-CW-DiB
    Stage 6: Big tank- SH-Chap-CW-DiB

Magic Trials

Stage 1-2-3-4: These are easy with any team
    Stage 5: At the level you unlock it SH is too weak

Stage 6: With P+4 gear he can be main tank of the stage along 4 dps to auto easily
    Psycho O can replace him and deal more damage

Arena at P+4:
    Only useful against magic teams
    Better at attacking than defending(personally at P+4 i wouldn't take the risk to put him to defend)

Arena at O:
    Can be used against mixed teams
    Better at attacking than defending

He is good as an offtank to:
    IH: the biggest meat shield at P+4, he will not die with SH on his side, specially since IH has good mr. Lose effectivity at O

Adm: She has good mr and offensive stats, SH will make her job easier. Strongest tank at O, one of the strongest at O+2

WC: He might not have the best mr and tends to be interrupted, but a physical team with WC raising the lifesteal and SH healing them, makes a hard to takedown team. Also, when WC, SH will tank perfectly, charging his ult

SK: I loved this duo at P+0, with one having lots of armor and the other mr(it wasn't effective tho). SK at O+2 is the tankiest, and with his L skill giving him more armor when he loses 15% of health, SH will make that passive pop more times during the battle

Good DPS companions:
    AS: If he jumps to the enemy middle line, SH will heal him the first enemy team damage wave on him, distracting enemies for more time and giving the time he needs to kill mages

DM: a lot of people complains about she ulting when she's about to drop, SH will make sure this won't happen and heal your DM for a full duration ult and devastating for the enemy team

Mach-ES: and almost any other mages and some physical heroes(HN) at midline, SH gives sustain to the ones lacking of this.

Phoenix: There is an special bond between SH and Phoenix. SH heal him during his ult, so that is more damage, when phoenix revives, SH replenish his HP

OC: He is really tanky, SH heals will not be wasted on him

Good supports companions:

Necro: If the enemy magic damage still scares you, put necro on your team. With SH, your tank and Necro, you will laugh at Mach ult's, DM ghosts will be a refreshing breeze and so on.

FM: Magic teams tends to have good MR due to high int stat

IE: The CC is always good, he has a strong nuke, SH gives him sustain.(I consider IE a support without his L skill)

Silencer: Shut down mages is his job, a high-damage support hero, definitely love SH heals, specially with his high stats, making them a real profit

[Theorycraft] Manipulator: Increasing his magic crit will have his ult more deadly (although you don't really want SH to take the kill)

He is a bad offtank for:
    Panda: He doesn't have a good mr and a magic team will shred him, leaving SH alone

Doom(DeB): Some people use this offtank as tank, well, he stands behind SH, so they're not a good pair

Bad tanks: Any tank with a poor capacity to do his job will put SH in trouble

Bad DPS companions:
    Ninja Assassin: Is he is in your middle line, SH will heal him, but when he ults, he's on his own and SH can't help him

CW: CW is too weak to magic damage, even with SH healing him he will be dead soon

WM: WM is outclassed at P+4 for his mixed damage nature, and she doesn't get healed by SH.. so no.

Bad Supports companions:
    Mystic: Only the energy gift is seized by SH's team as the increment on the healing is not that big and you could put a better dps for a strong ult, won't be healed by SH

SL: She has not sinergy with SH, however, pairing these two is not wrong, as she gives attack damage to your heroes and silence enemy team. If you're running a physical team with SH, use her

He counters:
    [Hard counter]Mach-ES-Mystic-DM: and any other magic hero with almost no cc

IE-OC: and all the magic heroes, even with their cc

Psychopath: Even L psycho is just a crappy tank, all the damage he can makes you, SH heal will cure you

HN: A physical hero that doesn't deal physical damage, SH heal more than HN attack, making her useless 'til she ults

EB: SH is not really a counter, but EB initial damage is cured by SH, the sustain SH gives through the battle will make EB ult less effective

AS: at O, AS can't finish the job generally, with SH he definitely won't finish it and charge your mage ult

Mirror enemy tank: If your oponent have the same than you, you already know who will tank more damage

Countered by:
    FD: FD attacks hard, and fast, SH heals won't keep your tank with his hp pool up, when your tank go down, SH won't be lasting long against FD. Your ult will hit his clone almost everytime

VS: Even at O, a crit from his arrow will prevent SH from healing

CW: CW clones tank your ult, CW ult fucks your life, the matchup in a nutshell.

Good SH teams:
    The ultimate magic team counter, it doesn't matter what heroes they have, if they only deal magic damage
    Necro,FM,DM,SH,Adm(SK): DM will silence them, SH will heal you, Necro will make lower their damage output, your tank will stand there. All you need is wait for DM's ult and enemy team will fall

Healer team:
    Big tank, SH, Cleric, Chap, DiB
    another variation is
    Big tank, SH, Chap, DiB, Ninja(HN)

Final words:
    I hope this guide that i made during my boring saturday help you to decide to invest in this great hero, i think he's really underrated, you definitely want him in your hero pool at the moment of choose your team

Iron Member Contributor Level 1
    Yeah he's cool I got 5 star orange

Gold Member Contributor Level 7
    Pretty good post. Very informative.

Diamond Member Contributor Level 9
    I love SH to, he is at O+1 for me and have him on one of my Ga teams

SK - SH - Mach - IE - Silencer

works wonders.

Silver Member Contributor Level 5
    Thank you for the post.
    Wish there's more boring Saturdays so you are able to make more informative posts for other heroes.

You might even be featured in http://heroescharge.help/
    Haha!

Have a boring Saturday in the near future.....

Thanks for sharing Marcos. Especially the synergy of SH and PHO..

On reddit there are a weekly hero discussion picked on vote. Next week SH is highly voted, i d like to like this thread to it.

Gold Member Contributor Level 6
    I have a 5* O SH.he always died before front tank,he very feared fd.and if the enemy have cw that means he ult and he die.before O+2 l can use him counter wv+eb team.but now his position seems not for very good.because we have some other good offtanks like hellboy and commander.I just use him for outland portery now.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    I love SH to, he is at O+1 for me and have him on one of my Ga teams

SK - SH - Mach - IE - Silencer

works wonders.
    SK - SH is one of the ultimate GA team that I love to have. They are excellent against VW-EB team and very solid against most other GA team. I personally like to replace Sil with Mystic for various reasons:
    - Mystic's legendary synergies very well with SH, which futher increases SH's magic resistance
    - Mystic provides defensive support for the team with his blind
    - Mystic guarantees your team will ulti first
    - Mystic stands in the back, which will buy few extra seconds for IE in case enemy NA jumps behind

However, i found SH - SK team can be countered badly by LG - VS - HN. Bascially SH - SK could not put enough presure onto enemy front line and the heal isnt enough for your mid/back line to last against HN - VS - LG

Quote Originally Posted by z195763085 View Post
    I have a 5* O SH.he always died before front tank,he very feared fd.and if the enemy have cw that means he ult and he die.before O+2 l can use him counter wv+eb team.but now his position seems not for very good.because we have some other good offtanks like hellboy and commander.I just use him for outland portery now.
    Yeah, he is really weak against CW and FD, every tool they have counters SH
    -Clones
    -Hard single target damage(FD)
    -Burst physical ult(CW)
    -Physical damage

And he is actually in a good position since SQ is the strongest hero on the game, SH heal affects the same area that SQ poison and with high magic resist that he has, will tank longer than a Commander

At O2 lv94 maxed, his healing is a bit over 7k, not 8k.

I have been using him for months, best counter for SQ magic team. Weakness is against Ninja or HN paired with CW.

If your opponents team is something like: A front tank, FD, SQ, another mage (usually IE & Machinist) or silencer, you can easily win using this setup, Admiral/CK, hellboy, SH, IE and machinist

If there is Ninja in enemy setup, put FD in your team and take off hellboy, use SK/CK + SH as your tank.

Thanks for the data :3
    Bad thing i can't add it to the post due to reach max character, next time i'll reserve a second spot

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos_M View Post
    Thanks for the data :3
    Bad thing i can't add it to the post due to reach max character, next time i'll reserve a second spot

Also, I don't think magic crit helps with SH's ulti. His ulti is among the few that never crit. Rather dmg is only based on enemy's missing hp with a flat cap.

Magic power helps with his healing amount, which at lv94, O2 base healing is 7105 hp

Silver Member Contributor Level 4
    Very informative post. I was about to level up this hero so this helps a lot. Hopefully you will do review on other heroes.

Silver Member Contributor Level 5
    Thank you man, very useful post!

deleted.......