Thread: Arena Malfunction?

Iron Member Contributor Level 1

Arena Malfunction?

Here's the scenario. I'm refreshing through arena looking for a top-10 spot to take... I find one, I attack, and as soon as it's like "Victory!" I hit next to return to the arena screen, only to find out my rank is exactly the same....

So I pull up my replays to see what exactly happened and I see this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wtfarena.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	5620

Now, I can't see any other way this is possible unless as soon as I hit the attack button, the outcome is calculated and the other person is notified of their loss, and they immediately start attacking me back before I've even "won" on my end. If that's the case...am I the only one that thinks that's pretty fucked up?
    TL 80 (Server Cap) - 59/63 heroes - 16 ✰✰✰✰✰, 24 ✰✰✰✰, 16 ✰✰✰, 3 ✰✰

Platinum Member Contributor Level 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Gdubz View Post
    Here's the scenario. I'm refreshing through arena looking for a top-10 spot to take... I find one, I attack, and as soon as it's like "Victory!" I hit next to return to the arena screen, only to find out my rank is exactly the same....

Now, I can't see any other way this is possible unless as soon as I hit the attack button, the outcome is calculated and the other person is notified of their loss, and they immediately start attacking me back before I've even "won" on my end. If that's the case...am I the only one that thinks that's pretty fucked up?
    Being that the fight is automated, yes...the fight is instantaneous and you are only watching how it played out. This is also true of dueling. If you want to see this in action, simply start an arena fight, or duel, and force close the app or switch servers. Upon relaunch or returning to that server, you will be able to find out whether you won or not.

I don't have a problem with the instantaneous outcome, but I do wish their was at least a small grace period for winning a spot in arena; like 5 ins.

Administrator Contributor Level 12 Betty's Avatar

Dear Leader
    It's normal that your rank didn't change after winning an Arena battle. If other player was attacking the same player you attacked and that other player won the fight, then your arena rank won't change.

Best Regards
    Betty

Platinum Member Contributor Level 7 Zäschi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Dear Leader
    It's normal that your rank didn't change after winning an Arena battle. If other player was attacking the same player you attacked and that other player won the fight, then your arena rank won't change.

Best Regards
    Betty
    I think it is not normal/optimal Betty. As the fight lasts a fixed amount of time (1:30), the result NEEDS to be sent right after that amount of time, not before. Maybe you do not realize how crucial Arena timings are in the competitive endgame. Every second there is important.

Scenario:
    My arenatime is 2 minutes away (8.58), i see a potential team i can beat to climb up some ranks. I attack him right away since it is close to beeing time, i win and my team goes on cooldown (8 Minutes). Meanwhile i was fighting his team my opponent got the alert that he was defeated and counters back, wins within the 8.59 mark. When i arrive at the arena overview, i see that i allready have been defeated again! By the same opponent...this should not be possible. It makes timings impossible. I would need to attack him in a timewindow where his alert is allready too late which would be seconds from 9.00.

When the alert would be sent afterwards there would be at least a 2 Minute timewindow (Preparation Time + Fighting time).

There is another flaw in the arena system and that is the following scenario:
    I attack a team, the fight is ongoing. Meanwhile, actually a split second before my battle begun, another player attacked the same team and wins.
    He gets the rank and sets that oponent back on another rank. If that rank is behind yours. Your fight ends with a win and you gain no rank and loose a try.
    You should consider locking teams that are currently under siege. Just temporarily remove them from the search during the fight. There is nothing more frustrating than spending your last try at arena time, winning and facing the fact that you gained nothing at all...

Platinum Member Contributor Level 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Zäschi View Post
    I attack a team, the fight is ongoing. Meanwhile, actually a split second before my battle begun, another player attacked the same team and wins.
    He gets the rank and sets that oponent back on another rank. If that rank is behind yours. Your fight ends with a win and you gain no rank and loose a try.
    You should consider locking teams that are currently under siege. Just temporarily remove them from the search during the fight. There is nothing more frustrating than spending your last try at arena time, winning and facing the fact that you gained nothing at all...
    Most def AGREED!!!

As for the competitive timings, you are right about it shouldn't send your results until after battle playback. If they aren't going to give us grace periods, then at least make the battle data and rank not apply until after the playback has finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Horrify View Post
    Most def AGREED!!!

As for the competitive timings, you are right about it shouldn't send your results until after battle playback. If they aren't going to give us grace periods, then at least make the battle data and rank not apply until after the playback has finished.
    Or at least an option to skip to result. I do not want to work around the system - let me work "with" the system.

Administrator Contributor Level 12 Betty's Avatar
    I think it is not normal/optimal Betty. As the fight lasts a fixed amount of time (1:30), the result NEEDS to be sent right after that amount of time, not before. Maybe you do not realize how crucial Arena timings are in the competitive endgame. Every second there is important.

Scenario:
    My arenatime is 2 minutes away (8.58), i see a potential team i can beat to climb up some ranks. I attack him right away since it is close to beeing time, i win and my team goes on cooldown (8 Minutes). Meanwhile i was fighting his team my opponent got the alert that he was defeated and counters back, wins within the 8.59 mark. When i arrive at the arena overview, i see that i allready have been defeated again! By the same opponent...this should not be possible. It makes timings impossible. I would need to attack him in a timewindow where his alert is allready too late which would be seconds from 9.00.

When the alert would be sent afterwards there would be at least a 2 Minute timewindow (Preparation Time + Fighting time).

Dear Leader
    When someone was already fighting your target, he will take your target's rank after he won. At the same time you are fighting your target. In this case you won't take your target's rank even if you won. Thanks.

Best Regards
    Betty

Thanks for confirming that, that makes a little more sense now...

I think you seriously need to delay notifying them of their win/loss until the attacking player knows what the outcome is. A grace period would be nice but not necessarily needed, however, delaying notifying the opponent until you actually win or lose is needed.

Dear Leader
    When someone was already fighting your target, he will take your target's rank after he won. At the same time you are fighting your target. In this case you won't take your target's rank even if you won. Thanks.

Best Regards
    Betty
    My dearest Betty

What you wrote is actually the same what i actually wrote only in a different formulation... Do you understand the problematic behind what i tried to frame here? Can you try to see it from a competitive players view? It is not acceptable the way the sytem handles the fights and the timing of their outcome distribution...

Platinum Member Contributor Level 8
    Dear Leader

Best Regards
    Betty
    While this is true, Horrify actually posted a screenshot CLEARLY showing that he was revenged, which you should have noticed.

That was actually their plan, before they had a rule for the Arena and GArena saying that you cannot attack a player currently under attack. After players reporting it was not true they realized their coding failed and changed the rule to state that you can attack players currently under attack.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiLLon View Post
    While this is true, Horrify actually posted a screenshot CLEARLY showing that he was revenged, which you should have noticed.
    Exactly, and that was my point in the original post...

Because the opponent is notified of the loss before I (the attacker) am notified of the win, he can revenge me before I've even won.

100% Grade A bullshit.

Exactly, and that was my point in the original post...

Because the opponent is notified of the loss before I (the attacker) am notified of the win, he can revenge me before I've even won.

100% Grade A bullshit.
    I totally agree. As it is now you have to tap the stamina counter in the upper right corner to see exact, down to seconds, time and plan your attack so you initiate the assault 20:59:45 give or take a few seconds. While this does not give you the chance to reset cooldown and try again it does protect you from revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiLLon View Post
    I totally agree. As it is now you have to tap the stamina counter in the upper right corner to see exact, down to seconds, time and plan your attack so you initiate the assault 20:59:45 give or take a few seconds. While this does not give you the chance to reset cooldown and try again it does protect you from revenge.
    And then it comes the legendary "Connecting ..." :P

And then it comes the legendary "Connecting ..." :P
    That happened to me the other day, I force quit anyway and the fight had gone through.