Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why you shouldn't use two front liners

Diamond Member Contributor Level 8

Why you shouldn't use two front liners

You shouldn't use two front line heroes, with one exception. The reason for this is that doing so gives your opponent a free DPS boost. This happens because when other front liners attack you they generally attack your entire front row with even their basic attack. In addition, many skill attacks are short ranged area attacks, and when these attacks target your front row everybody gets hit for full damage.

I did say there was an exception to this, and that his heroes that don't stay on the front line. Arcane Sapper is the most infamous example of this, but Vanguard Warrior, Fallen Dominion, and Swordmaster do it as well in various ways.

Trying to beef up your front row by putting multiple heroes there is usually counterproductive because of the reasons I stated above, but there is an alternative. Use what I callan "off-tank". There are two of these, and they have a unique ability to take damage off the tank while not standing on the front line exposed to area attacks and other front liners. Arcane Sapper does this by jumping to the back lines. This solves the area Attack problem, and enemy attacks from that point will be split between Sapper and the tank. The other hero for this is Cloud Walker. CW's blue skill will often throw a clone behind enemy lines and function like Sapper, but the close range clones from his ulti and green skill also take damage off the tank. While the front line clones are subject to the area attack issues I first described, they run in front of the tank and single target attacks hit the clones instead of the tank, taking damage off the tank.

In short, do not use two front liners unless one of them is AS, FD, Swordmaster, or Vanguard. If you want to make your front line sturdier, use AS or CW instead.

Bronze Member Contributor Level 4

can not agree

I am ranked top10 in my server. A lot of times, panda and WC together works better than one to counter AS. Since it will limit the number of back line heroes, which gives AS too much leech and dps. Check how many Panda & WC in arena among the top players.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecasualoblivion View Post
    You shouldn't use two front line heroes, with one exception. The reason for this is that doing so gives your opponent a free DPS boost. This happens because when other front liners attack you they generally attack your entire front row with even their basic attack. In addition, many skill attacks are short ranged area attacks, and when these attacks target your front row everybody gets hit for full damage.

I did say there was an exception to this, and that his heroes that don't stay on the front line. Arcane Sapper is the most infamous example of this, but Vanguard Warrior, Fallen Dominion, and Swordmaster do it as well in various ways.

Trying to beef up your front row by putting multiple heroes there is usually counterproductive because of the reasons I stated above, but there is an alternative. Use what I callan "off-tank". There are two of these, and they have a unique ability to take damage off the tank while not standing on the front line exposed to area attacks and other front liners. Arcane Sapper does this by jumping to the back lines. This solves the area Attack problem, and enemy attacks from that point will be split between Sapper and the tank. The other hero for this is Cloud Walker. CW's blue skill will often throw a clone behind enemy lines and function like Sapper, but the close range clones from his ulti and green skill also take damage off the tank. While the front line clones are subject to the area attack issues I first described, they run in front of the tank and single target attacks hit the clones instead of the tank, taking damage off the tank.

In short, do not use two front liners unless one of them is AS, FD, Swordmaster, or Vanguard. If you want to make your front line sturdier, use AS or CW instead.

Diamond Member Contributor Level 9 Ferico's Avatar
    I beg to differ as tanks are part of the foundation either for defense/support/dps.
    Some duo combination I find very sturdy or fearsome:

1.)Death Knight & Cleric
    2.)Shallows Keeper & Savage One
    3.)Iron Hoof + Vanguard Warrior
    4.)Drunken Master & Warchief
    5.)Psychopath & Soul Hunter
    6.)Drunken Master & Depth Voice
    7.)Admiral & Cleric
    8.)Death Knight & Brute
    9.)Many More

The idea of having a single tank throughout the game is kind of close-minded if you only think of "energy-giving" to enemy's DPS is the problem. There are different ways to tweak your team composition for a varied result against varied enemies and having one tank is only a single way.

Platinum Member Contributor Level 8 Agamerjes's Avatar
    When I read the OP, I keep asking myself "for what?". No two front liners for... Arena, raids, campaign, crusades, in general? You never say which.

If you meant in general, then I strongly disagree. There are many examples and combinations, like the other posters mentioned, where 2 front liners work out quite well. From a newbie's point of view, two of my accounts got a Lightning Elemental right out of the gate and teams with Admiral/LE were 3 starring elite campaign missions and completing higher difficulty rifts/trials than 1 tank teams of the 5 starter heroes (or 4 and LE).

1 tank teams have their place, but they aren't the one-size-fits-all for all situations.
    Life would be better with more Legos, and more naps.

Server: 58 Corvus

Agamerjes's Guide to HC Life, Universe, & Everthing:
    http://forum.ucool.com/showthread.ph...and-Everything

Platinum Member Contributor Level 8 Mystara's Avatar
    I almost always use two front-liners.
    http://forum.ucool.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=30906&dateline=141327  9605

Diamond Member Contributor Level 9 Ferico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agamerjes View Post
    1 tank teams have their place, but they aren't the one-size-fits-all for all situations.
    Could not agree more. 0 tank/frontline hero teams are also possible.

Bronze Member Contributor Level 12
    I was thinking about a team of 4 tanks + buff. bring the heat to their side is always better than in your side.

Platinum Member Contributor Level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by bin View Post
    I was thinking about a team of 4 tanks + buff. bring the heat to their side is always better than in your side.
    Haha do this and someone will use iron, oc and mystic and beat u 3v5
    Level: 90 Server: 18 VIP: 13 Leader of Top Guild on Server/ All Heroes Power: 446,864

Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    Haha do this and someone will use iron, oc and mystic and beat u 3v5
    Depend on what 4 tanks, I was waiting for the right set. However true 3vs5 is absolutely unrealistic.

3v5 is very realistic in that scenario lol. Iron Hoof controls the front line and survives with mystics help and oc destroys them with his area damage. I have done this a few times for fun when i see idiotic teams.

This is of course assuming you mean tanks and not all front heroes. Obviously arcane, Fallen, vangaurd could counter this easily.
    Level: 90 Server: 18 VIP: 13 Leader of Top Guild on Server/ All Heroes Power: 446,864

Platinum Member Contributor Level 8 Agamerjes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bin View Post
    I wasn't paying attention and ran something like that in a few arenas. Team was: Vanguard Warrior, Admiral, Lightning Elemental, Cleric, and Commando. Ran 4/5 arena matches before I noticed. Surprisingly, it won 3 of the matches. But, I'd say it being a newer server having more to do with it than the group's actual merit.
    Life would be better with more Legos, and more naps.

Server: 58 Corvus

Agamerjes's Guide to HC Life, Universe, & Everthing:
    http://forum.ucool.com/showthread.ph...and-Everything

Gold Member Contributor Level 6 ThanHanhS38's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferico View Post
    Could not agree more. 0 tank/frontline hero teams are also possible.
    ye right! Here is the sample, 0 tanker (this is not my team, saw somewhere in facebook) 10897817_1002088566471640_4987899797087959627_n.jpg
    Guild: BraveHeart
    Server: 38

Diamond Member Contributor Level 8
    is that really bad ? lineup Com - VS - AS - Panda - WC seem pretty good for me

Quote Originally Posted by kirlein View Post
    is that really bad ? lineup Com - VS - AS - Panda - WC seem pretty good for me
    That lineup is fine. This whole point of this thread is misguided.

Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    3v5 is very realistic in that scenario lol. Iron Hoof controls the front line and survives with mystics help and oc destroys them with his area damage. I have done this a few times for fun when i see idiotic teams.

This is of course assuming you mean tanks and not all front heroes. Obviously arcane, Fallen, vangaurd could counter this easily.
    If you limit tanks only be those sandbag heroes like DK,Brute,Mountain,Admiral, Savage One, DV ... it is possible.

There is 1 or 2 guys use DK/DM in arena, they're both hard to kill, it's hard to tell if DM in this case is tank or not; same to AS, one of my friend once use only-AS-tank team to fight and he won the battle easily.