Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Alts

Iron Member Contributor Level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnseeker View Post
    We're open to suggestions on ways to discourage people from making alts through game mechanics. We plan to do bot sweeps and multi-account sweeps, but the best way to fix this is to make it so people don't benefit by creating alts. Suggestions?
    I guess it would be nice, for starters, if you could feel like you could actually trust evony in the 1st place. When you report an obvious alt and a month later ALL the alts are still there it makes it very hard to trust evony let alone ever want to invest a dime in a game that continues to permit cheating. Wether it be the bots that have taken over age 1 and age 2 or the numerous alts that have grown rampant on Age1/2 CoE and Tynon.

I reported one such player and all 20+ alts are still setting there and active. And it's very easy to tell they are all alts when you look @ a map and see 'player' then surrounding him is player1, player2, player3.....player20. (I am not giving actual name, but it was reported to Evony and a month later all of them are still setting there)

If I am not mistaken any accounts thus far in CoE are accounts from Age 1 or possibly Age 2 (the last I checked it said to sign in with your account from one of those)

So if there are alts here, then there are alts on Age 1/2. Not that it is a big surprise to anyone.

I would suggest a mail verification when signing up. If someone has numerous accounts there might be a very good possibility that they do not have the email accounts to go with them (in other words they might have made up addresses that don't exist). That would possibly prohibit new alts being created

I would also suggest looking @ why the alts were created. Maybe instead of Evony hiding behind the ever scrolling banner that proclaims there are no cheats allowed in the game, perhaps they should admit the truth.....that they have let this situation of bots/alts get totally out of control. Once they admit that then maybe they can level the playing field.

There are always players that no matter what, if it says no cheating they will not cheat. But we all know, as things stand now, those players don't stand a snowballs chance against the bots and the alts.
    So look at the reason the alts were created (the majority). Most were made to keep up with the botts, to keep up with the mass feeding, massive troops building....etc. Age 2 eased things to a certain degree because, even without food, troops did not die and I don't think you saw quite as much cheating going on. So again back up to age one. It became a matter of 24 hour farming just to feed troops. No one wanted to invest 24 hours so then came the bots to ease the burden of manually farming for 24 hours.

I guess where I am going with this, is the game turned into a 24 hour round the clock, perpetually feedings troops. The alts came about as a way for the people that would not bot to try and keep up with the botters. The botters came about when it became more than just a simple couple of hours a day game. So if Evony can not and will get rid of the bots perhaps they should either allow the bots or work on ways of replicating at least part of what the bots do. Even if the game were to become nothing more than bot vs bot at least once allowed then you've evened out the playing field there. Then you are back to ridding of the alts. I would venture to say that if the field is evened out with bots that perhaps the need for alts might slowly diminish. Granted some will still want to try and get some sort of upper hand. In that case running a scan on IP addresses might work. If there is nothing on file for another member in the same household then flag it as an alt.

that is so true

Bronze Member Contributor Level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnseeker View Post
    We're open to suggestions on ways to discourage people from making alts through game mechanics. We plan to do bot sweeps and multi-account sweeps, but the best way to fix this is to make it so people don't benefit by creating alts. Suggestions?
    A suggestion is to limit the number of times an account can hit another account withing a window and recover rewards for doing so.

To limit how many times a player can hit a specific target is contrary to game mechanics as you must hit repeatedly to move a city. But, you can set it so that the player cannot keep coming back and farming the city over and over and then farming alts become relatively useless. Yes, that would put the burden on uCool to keep track and would likely lag the system.

Anything using IP addresses can be spoofed, but, you can set it so that any account that has ever been logged in from an IP address cannot hit another account that has used the same IP address. If 7 people are using a shared IP, they can all play, but cannot farm each other.

Require a unique, paid E-mail address to register, not yahoo, gmail, mailinator, etc, and require validation. Yes, people can still register multiple times, but it makes it more difficult.

Require once a month validation of the E-mail.

Enforce rules against big offenders, and do it by wiping the accounts, not banning for a few days as was typically done in Evony.

Many more ideas along those lines. Some may not work at all. Some may a little. None will prevent a person from using alts cooperatively in battle, but doing so is not hugely different than alliance/guild battle tactics. The general idea is reduce the usefulness of alts and the penalties for violating and the use will be reduced. It will never be eliminated any more than to use of glitches/hacks will ever be eliminated, all you can do is reduce it and make penalties high enough to discourage it.

And yes, I am using 2 accounts. It is a Beta test, and Betas are for experimenting. such as try building an account this way and that way and see which works better. The instant CoE shows any sign of being serious about not allowing, and there are enough players that my 3 accounts in any way interferes, then 2 will be eliminated. And mine do not farm each other, etc., but that really is just my choice, not a moral indictment on others.

Iron Member Contributor Level 2
    I have commented about alts several times in the past. I have suggested the same as Gomer above, do not allow accounts from the same IP to interact. As my wife and I both play I would not like to see just 1 account per IP become a hardline rule. Possibly a mechanism in the settings menu where you have to declare the other player names playing from the same IP address. It would set a flag that would not allow certain interactions between the accounts. BOTH players would have to do this or they could both be banned.

There are other games out there that take a hard-line stance on multi-accounting. And they use methods like the one above. They also actually make you confirm the email whenn you join a server. You guys send out a confirmation email but with no confirmation link...lol. Believe me, it doesn't detract from the fun of the game if everyone is made to play by the rules.

I also have 2 accounts but they have never interacted and I played and developed my cities differently just to see how things went. I have enjoyed playing this for the most part and look forward to see what other facets of the game are yet to be rolled out.

I think if people are using alts on this beta then it's not such bad thing for the developers because it means that the game progress is advanced quicker allowing them to monitor aspects of the bigger cities and advanced gameplay without having to wait months for players to build them naturally.
    Once the game 'goes live' alts will be redundant in many ways because I doubt they'll be giving 20 gems away for nothing every day, you have a limited troop limit, you are always in touch with players of your own level through the honor system, and your farms can always scrape together enough food to build enough troops to get you started in match and plunder every day.
    The best ways to stop alts and bots is to design a game that doesn't need them and I reckon this game is looking pretty good in that respect once it starts for real.

Iron Member Contributor Level 2
    1 1/2 months later and still the alts I had reported are still there. I am so glad that I have an attorney that is going to handle this since Evony has no intention on ever running an honest game.