Thread: Need help

Silver Member Contributor Level 5 Remuslupin's Avatar

Wink Need help

Hi everybody!
    I am the sole prop of a successful window cleaning business in California. I have an abundance of extra work. I have only one employee, myself. My wife helps with phone calls and admin part time. Currently when I have too much work to handle I hire other sole prop window cleaning owners to subcontract. I would like to hire employees, but after running the numbers I cannot afford to pay a decent wage and stay in business.

I have reviewed EDD's form DE 38, Employment Determination Guide, and my answers leaned towards subcontracting. The answers were as follows:
    Questions 1-3: No, No, Yes
    Questions 4-6: Yes, Yes, Yes
    Questions 7-13: Yes, No, No, No, No, No, No

Before I send in a DE 1870, Determination of Employment Work Status, I would like to get some advice on if I can subcontract work lawfully under this arrangement.

Some of these facts may lend weight to approving subcontracting:
    Clients are told up front when they schedule that we represent a network of great window cleaning companies, and which one will be dispatched.
    Subcontractors carry their own insurance and are licensed.
    Subcontractors wear their own companies t-shirt or uniform.
    Payment is made directly to the subcontractor from the client.
    A referral fee or percentage is then paid to me by the subcontractor at the end of the week or bi-monthly.

Bronze Member Contributor Level 4 xeren6's Avatar
    Without limited liability protection, your home could be used as collateral to repay the businesses debt after a lawsuit or bankruptcy. This is, by far, one of the greatest advantages gained by forming a business entity. I got consultation about how to form an llc in connecticut for my business. An LLC is not a type of corporation. In fact, an LLC is a unique hybrid entity that combines the simplicity of a sole proprietorship with the liability protections offered by starting a corporation.

Silver Member Contributor Level 5 Remuslupin's Avatar
    A company is owned by shareholders, which can be individuals or other business entities, such as another company. Portions of a company, divided into shares of stock, can be bought or sold without having any effect on the underlying structure or function of the company.

Iron Member Contributor Level 1
    Hello, I used to use different detergents and chemicals to wet clean my house, but now I have a household steam cleaner. With this device all surfaces in my house are cleaned much more effectively and faster. I highly recommend it to every housewife, it really is a very worthwhile thing that everyone should have in their home! And I think it's the answer to the question, "how to keep a clean house?"