Thread: Crusade, arena, game mechanics need to be improved

Crusade, arena, game mechanics need to be improved

If you read most of the guides you'll easily see that most sucessful strategies are based in some way or another to try to deceive the game into thinking your strongest 5 hero lineup is actually weaker than in reality, either by having just one hero completely leveled up and hiring the remaining ones from the guild, or just focusing on some skills, etc..

Or in using a select few combinations of heroes, that while some have several possibilities for that specific position of the lineup, others do not, like Death Knight for instance, which is even mentioned in the game's own hints.

In my opinion both are flawed... the first one because it stands against what the game should be, which is to gather heroes and improve them using every means at your disposal, not nerfing them on purpose in order to maximize loot.

The second one, and this problem is not only regarding the crusade itself, is that while we have the objective of building a team of heroes, there are some let's call it, "Best hero in slot", which ruins the game experience... after all most teams on the crusade/arena start to look the same at higher levels.

And since these "Best hero in slot" differ from arena and crusade you have to lvl up more than 1 team and the game simply does not provide enough resources for it, in terms of money for skills and soulstones to lvl up the heroes stars. And if you bet more on the arena than on the crusade, or vice-versa, you'll lose the precious soulstones from the rewards, which will lead to the specific heroes that can only be lvled up with those rewards to be stuck, and some of them are actually all rounders (old curse and commando for instance).

Being a competitive player, i'm more focused on the arena, so gradually the crusade started to get more difficult per level up, to the point that i now think that it is also affecting my arena performance due to the fact that i can no longer farm the soulstones specific from crusade rewards that i require (or at least not in a mildly efficient way). And witouth the recent addition of the booty cave i would also be starving for money from the lack of progression in the current crusades.

Of course you could say to follow the guides, and dumb down the gameplay to come out strong in the endgame, but quite frankly if the start and middle of the trip is a boring grind, it's quite possibly one will lose interest to get to the end.

So my suggestions to counteract all these are:

1- Create actual redundencies for all heroes with some skill changes on the non primary ones (So let's say actual plausible replacements for heroes like Commando, Chaplain, Death Knight, War Chief in their areas of dominance of course). Some skills like raising a specific elemental dmg of the team could be interesting, to start seeing some fire teams, lightning teams, ice teams.

2- Make sure the the first few lvls of the crusade are teams below your level to keep a minimal possible collection of tokens to teams not crusade oriented. Especially since crusade should be about endurance, and having the first 3 maps with teams above your level pretty much nukes your primary team, even playing defensily.

3- War chief should be able to revive once per crusade fight, not once per crusade. Why should this particular purple skill have a different behaviour than all the others?

4- Crusade teams should actually be NPC based, to avoid the same old boring fight agains the same opponents, and it that way should also be used as a demonstration by the game devs that other team combinations are also viable... crusade should be a learning experience. Maybe show off the heroes that will be available in the next version/month at first hand?

5- Introduce a new merchant in which we can gamble soulstones that we have for different ones... or lose them in the process... anyway a luck based way to try and get the soulstones we are failing to get otherwise

Prime Leader Contributor Level 11
    1. They base their heroes off of DOTA so i dont think they will make any custom hereos

2. 100% agree sometimes i get a team same level as mine and need to scarifice a extra tank to get DK's energy built up.

3. I didn't know its once per crusade. Maybe they did this to prevent people from getting 15/15 easy

4. I would love to see NPC based because I'm always facing the same guys and one guy i really hate facing with 5 5* at level 48...

5. This is a bad idea because people will just invest in the same heroes and then people will never try new ones and also it will make getting sword master easier.

Silver Member Contributor Level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyvuknome View Post
    1. They base their heroes off of DOTA so i dont think they will make any custom hereos

2. 100% agree sometimes i get a team same level as mine and need to scarifice a extra tank to get DK's energy built up.

3. I didn't know its once per crusade. Maybe they did this to prevent people from getting 15/15 easy

4. I would love to see NPC based because I'm always facing the same guys and one guy i really hate facing with 5 5* at level 48...

5. This is a bad idea because people will just invest in the same heroes and then people will never try new ones and also it will make getting sword master easier.
    1. Oh really, who is rifleman based on then?

4. My goodness they really do need to make it campaign-based.

5. I imagine it's a merchant with 6-12 random soul stones where you can trade a 1* for a 1* stone, a 2* for a 2* stone, or a 3* for a 3* stone. This would make swordmaster SLIGHTLY easier to obtain, but lets get real, swordmaster isn't even fun to farm in the first place.

Diamond Member Contributor Level 9 Uber Star's Avatar
    TL;DR requested

Diamond Member Contributor Level 9
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonSun View Post
    1. Oh really, who is rifleman based on then?

4. My goodness they really do need to make it campaign-based.

5. I imagine it's a merchant with 6-12 random soul stones where you can trade a 1* for a 1* stone, a 2* for a 2* stone, or a 3* for a 3* stone. This would make swordmaster SLIGHTLY easier to obtain, but lets get real, swordmaster isn't even fun to farm in the first place.
    Rifleman is actually a hero in one of the versions of dotafun. dotafun is basically a warcraft 3 dota map which many new op heroes are added just for the sake of fun.