Thread: Best pre purple tank?

Iron Member Contributor Level 1

Best pre purple tank?

Hi,
    So I have my WC and thought he was good for a while but now he seems to die too fast. I am level 42 and so he still won't get purple for a little while so I am trying to figure out what to use for a tank until then.
    I have Admiral, Cleric levelled up and a level 1 shallows keeper. Is it worth it to level up the SC or should I farm some other tank.
    I think my main priority should be crusade because I think I levelled too fast and my skills aren't high enough so I can't get past 10/15 on crusade, but I badly need the gold. Once my merc DK dies I lose my WC the next battle and then usually get wiped when the admiral is tanking the next round. I am farming up for a DK until then I have no fallback.

Also for arena I usually run Commando/Leaves/Windmaster/Spearman/Warchief and could probably use a new tank there as well. I don't own Succubus or Old Curse which seem to be popular in Arena.

thanks a ton for any tips!

Gold Member Contributor Level 6 Jeff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Locopitts View Post
    Hi,
    So I have my WC and thought he was good for a while but now he seems to die too fast. I am level 42 and so he still won't get purple for a little while so I am trying to figure out what to use for a tank until then.
    I have Admiral, Cleric levelled up and a level 1 shallows keeper. Is it worth it to level up the SC or should I farm some other tank.
    I think my main priority should be crusade because I think I levelled too fast and my skills aren't high enough so I can't get past 10/15 on crusade, but I badly need the gold. Once my merc DK dies I lose my WC the next battle and then usually get wiped when the admiral is tanking the next round. I am farming up for a DK until then I have no fallback.

Also for arena I usually run Commando/Leaves/Windmaster/Spearman/Warchief and could probably use a new tank there as well. I don't own Succubus or Old Curse which seem to be popular in Arena.

oh wait! I think u should really farm oldcurse first! those who farmed DK first heavily regretted their decision, plus you can always hire a DK from guild for your crusade!
    Aside from DK theres no tank that can last multiple waves of crusade without healing, u should stick to DK and throw in any meat tank u got when DK dies.
    anyways to answer your question, I think the best ARENA tank pre-purple is Brute hands down and DK is good too. mostly because this 2 heroes start at 3 stars.
    If you're lucky enough to get brute out of a gold chest in the early levels, the game becomes ALOT easier for you!

your arena setup is gonna work godly after purple, aslong as u change that spearman with an Oldcurse or Vengeance spirit, that is!
    Last edited by Jeff; 11-14-2014 at 02:34 AM.
    Not only do I need to dry my clothes from the rain and sleet, but also from incontinence.

Thanks,
    Do you think it is worth it to level up the Shallows Keeper or would it be better to farm the Savage one instead. Can I really not farm Brute until chapter 6 elite? Is it worth buying another 10 pack of gold chests and hoping for him or something?

I really Like the spearman as a sort of second tank (well tanky dps but his dps is single target) but I wonder about replacing him with Emberstar or an Ice Mage for the AoE. He has the 3 stars to their 2 right now. Is there a rear champ that offers a life steal buff or shield or something that would help him sustain through damage? I like the WC buff but by the time the Spearman needs it the most it's because the WC is dead. Same would go for the Cleric if he was good.

Gold Member Contributor Level 6 Miserymachine's Avatar
    Pre purple you should be getting as many shallows and warchief stones as you can for after purple. Pre-purple Shallows does well. Then once you hit purple you have a well starred WC and you have a head start on the shallows which gets outshined in the early purple but gets much better in the later game.

Quote Originally Posted by Miserymachine View Post
    Pre purple you should be getting as many shallows and warchief stones as you can for after purple. Pre-purple Shallows does well. Then once you hit purple you have a well starred WC and you have a head start on the shallows which gets outshined in the early purple but gets much better in the later game.
    Awesome thanks,
    In the meantime I decided to try the Spearman as my only tank and well...it worked really well. I now swap between 2 of WC, Leaves, Chaplain and Ice mage in campaigns to go along with Commando and my Wind Master that is by far my most skilled up and doing huge damage. I'm sure in purple WC will pass easily but using the Spearman will save me a lot of gold that leveling up the SK's skills would cost.
    I am always farming all the soulstones regardless of what I am spending gold/cheese...but I am not spending gems on the rerolls (vip3) usually as I am thinking of saving another 900 gems for a 10 pack of gold chests. Is this worth it? or should I pour all my gems into stamina and rerolls for soulstones?

Platinum Member Contributor Level 8
    Pre purple, its just 3 star tanks that own on themselves..put as many as you can into arena team.

Post purple, its WarChief (solo tank) and 4 dps behind him.

post purple + 3, maybe shallow can be counted ok..but till dont see him shining

I wonder why i have farmed a 4 star shallow till now..

So dont be fooled by those saying shallow is good. in Heroes Charge, shallow sucks due to commando

Quote Originally Posted by irony View Post
    Pre purple, its just 3 star tanks that own on themselves..put as many as you can into arena team.

Post purple, its WarChief (solo tank) and 4 dps behind him.

post purple + 3, maybe shallow can be counted ok..but till dont see him shining

I wonder why i have farmed a 4 star shallow till now..

So dont be fooled by those saying shallow is good. in Heroes Charge, shallow sucks due to commando
    Rola suggested the whole forum to farm shallows keeper as TOP priority, insisting hes absolutely needed as endgame tank, and I never understood why... hes always been a shit hero in my eyes, and ofc I've never seen rola using it once.
    The thing just doesnt shine.
    Not only do I need to dry my clothes from the rain and sleet, but also from incontinence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Rola suggested the whole forum to farm shallows keeper as TOP priority, insisting hes absolutely needed as endgame tank, and I never understood why... hes always been a shit hero in my eyes, and ofc I've never seen rola using it once.
    So is there someone that really is worth farming until my WC gets to purple? Brute seems pretty hard to get...or just save my gold and max out my dps champs?

Platinum Member Contributor Level 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Locopitts View Post
    Hi,

Thought you could escape my chatting in guild eh
    Last edited by Macstabby; 11-14-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Typo grrrrr

Platinum Member Contributor Level 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    i suggested people to farm shallow as top priority cause they had no tanks and were obsessed about DK.

i said priority cause between guild coins ( at that time there was no sapper), bronze chests and stone drops u could get him easily. But please read my posts. i always said to start working on warchief as a future replacement.

i used shallow in pretty much all my many game first kills on raids. i used shallow on crusade until stage twelve until late november.

i currently use shallow on several raids, outland portal ,first 3 stages of crusade, booty cave and he is a at least at this moment a irreplaceable piece in Grand Arena team wich stays between rank 1 and rank 2.

so in my eyes he was never and isnt a shitty hero.

Diamond Member Contributor Level 8
    No tank really holds up on its own alone on the front line pre-purple. Brute is the best of the bunch, with DK and Soulhunter being next best. I imagine Panda isn't too bad, and I'd rank Warrior Monk 5th of the 3*. I wouldn't run DK or WM alone up front, and WM needs a partner ahead of him and that can be a trick since there are few tanks that stand in front of him. I ran SH up front solo pre-purple and got by, but only just. I was never confident in him, but he was all I had and I didn't have anybody worthwhile to partner him with.

Prime Leader Contributor Level 11
    this thread is 1month old.

i suggested people to farm shallow as top priority cause they had no tanks and were obsessed about DK.

i said priority cause between guild coins ( at that time there was no sapper), bronze chests and stone drops u could get him easily. But please read my posts. i always said to start working on warchief as a future replacement.

i used shallow in pretty much all my many game first kills on raids. i used shallow on crusade until stage twelve until late november.

i currently use shallow on several raids, outland portal ,first 3 stages of crusade, booty cave and he is a at least at this moment a irreplaceable piece in Grand Arena team wich stays between rank 1 and rank 2.

so in my eyes he was never and isnt a shitty hero.
    Im displeased u take it so personally. you're not following the forum anymore but u take your time to seach and necro old thread just to point out your ideas again.
    no one is gonna blame you for your "old" advices and im glad your SK serves you well, personally I was to choose 3 tanks for grand id go for panda/wc/ironhoof, but as I stated in another post, SK can have hes place in grand arena, I'll give you that.
    The only thing that bugs me is your Crusade-wise view you had of it. I mean, Theres is only 1 tank tha can withstand multiple waves healing himself back everytime: DK.
    Crusade situation aint changed much tbh, why would you pick shallows as frontliner over DK? Even 2 months ago. sure hes tanky and can tank better than DK for 1 stage, maybe surviving with 30-40% health, but the next one? and the next one again? plus your basically forced to use chaplain each wave, wich i dont since like lvl 70

I've got my 5* shallows too, I just cant fit him in arenas(wc/panda) crusade(DM/DK) raids(WC/SavageOne) because thare are better tanks for every situation, so unless it becomes stronger in the future it remains a shit hero to me :S