Thread: Armor and Magic Resistance - Damage Reduction

Bronze Member Contributor Level 4

Armor and Magic Resistance - Damage Reduction

How does armor reduce damage, is it 1:1 or percentage?

How does magic resist reduce damage, is it 1:1 or percentage?

I got to 53 on my main account and decided to try out Shallows Keeper, Savage One and War Chief (All 2 star) and purple. War Chief is by far the most durable considering 2nd life and even without second life it's very close. Shallows Keeper extra armor seems like it does nothing.

I had to redo my rankings of tanks for purple: (Shallows Keeper being the worst)

Anyone else feel the same way, what tanks have you noticed are good?

Edit: Also sub 50 I've noticed that Soulhunter is amazing for arena because of his high magic resist, so I guess magic resist works different than armor?

Silver Member Contributor Level 5
    Just like most stats, it is non-linear

Universal Leader Contributor Level 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Cappuccinoman View Post
    How does armor reduce damage, is it 1:1 or percentage?

How does magic resist reduce damage, is it 1:1 or percentage?

I got to 53 on my main account and decided to try out Shallows Keeper, Savage One and War Chief (All 2 star) and purple. War Chief is by far the most durable considering 2nd life and even without second life it's very close. Shallows Keeper extra armor seems like it does nothing.

I had to redo my rankings of tanks for purple: (Shallows Keeper being the worst)

Anyone else feel the same way, what tanks have you noticed are good?

Edit: Also sub 50 I've noticed that Soulhunter is amazing for arena because of his high magic resist, so I guess magic resist works different than armor?
    If you play Warcraft game before, you will notice that it's something like y = sqrt(x) graph (IDK the actual function). x=amour, y =dmg reduction. It grows larger at the start and slower towards the end. For example, a +10 amour when your are at 0 amour is worth 20% physical dmg reduction while the same +10 amour is worth only 2% when you have 300 amour. This is why amour reduction is better than dmg buff. Dmg buff increases dmg linearly while amour reduction increases dmg exponentially (not exactly but kind of).
    Last edited by flexr; 11-09-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flexr View Post
    If you play Warcraft game before, you will notice that it's something like y = sqrt(x) graph (IDK the actual function). x=amour, y =dmg reduction. It grows larger at the start and slower towards the end. For example, a +10 amour when your are at 0 amour is worth 20% physical dmg reduction while the same +10 amour is worth only 2% when you have 300 amour. This is why amour reduction is better than dmg buff. Dmg buff increases dmg linearly while amour reduction increases dmg exponentially (not exactly but kind of).
    I think you get the correct analysis, but not 100% conclusion.

For all linear line cross non-linear curve, it always gives you several intervals, in which one's gain will surpass the other while reverse in another.

Ultimately it will become an optimization problem. In lvl 80, shallow keeper still is one of the most popular tank.

Bronze Member Contributor Level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Prodigalr View Post
    In lvl 80, shallow keeper still is one of the most popular tank.
    On what servers? I think War Chief is the only popular 80 tank. I don't think I've actually ever seen an 80 use Shallows.

Quote Originally Posted by Cappuccinoman View Post
    On what servers? I think War Chief is the only popular 80 tank. I don't think I've actually ever seen an 80 use Shallows.
    IH > WC = Drunken Master > Shallow Keeper. Consider IH is not available for VIP11- and DM needs arena coins, Shallow Keeper is very decent, as soul-stone is also available in gold chest

how armor and m. resists work in dota2

Quote Originally Posted by flexr View Post

armor makes your hero live longer through phys damage, so we could just armor as extra HP for your hero. in dota, 1 armor gives your hero 6% EHP (effective hit points). so if your hero has 5k hp and 20 armor. your hero would have 5k*(100+6*20) EHP (considering all damage taken is physical). so your hero would tank up to 11k physical damage. considering all of this game mechanics and characters is dota-like and the developer used to play dota, this mechanic is most likely adopted. magic resist also work the same way as physical but wiht less numbers.